Thursday 19 July 2012

Albi - one of the 5 Towns to Visit in France with video((Albi,Tarn,Midi-Pyrenees,Video))

Five towns you should visit outside of Paris! According to Matt Long they are:

1. La Rochelle
2. Cahors
3. Angouleme
4. Albi
5. Avignon

I have been to all but Albi. I was fortunate to visit Angouleme when the car race around the ramparts was on - so this was quite spectacular. So here is what Matt has to say about Albi. Albi is in the Tarn region of the Midi-Pyrenees.

I could be making this up, but I’m convinced that 1) Albi gets a bad rap and 2) I don’t like that fact at all. Like I said, maybe this is just conjecture but I don’t think many people outside of France have ever actually heard of Albi and that’s a shame. Located in the heart of the incredibly green rolling hills of the Tarn region, Albi is an absolute treasure. I’m a history fan, and I loved learning more about the tragic history of the Cathars, which culminated in and around Albi more than eight hundred years ago. But on the lighter side, Albi was also the birthplace of Toulouse-Lautrec, the famed French artist of the 19th century. The Toulouse-Lautrec museum conveniently located in the heart of Albi has just been renovated and it is a masterpiece of modern design and museum management. I truly enjoyed roaming the galleries admiring the impressive display of Toulouse-Lautrec works.

Read the complete article with some superb photos: Five French Towns You Should Visit ASAP


More About Albi
TourismOfficial Albi Tourism
Video: Albi's recent inscription on the UNESCO World Heritage List does justice to one of France's most beautiful cities.

Posted via email from FRANCE facts about

No comments:

Post a Comment