Friday 21 September 2012

Coo its Rachel Khoo Again

It must be Rachel Khoo appreciation week. Or cynical me thinks there must be a new book or TV show?

First the Guardian: The star of The Little Paris Kitchen is refreshingly unfussy on screen – but it's taken determination and willpower to get there.

When Rachel Khoo's mother first heard that her daughter was going to present a cookery programme, her reaction was one of surprise. "Mum said: 'Why would anyone want to see you on TV? You're normal!'" Khoo says, squealing with laughter at the memory.

But it was her normality that would make Rachel Khoo this year's break-out food TV star and, at 31, she seems to have done it just by being herself – albeit a heightened, idealised version of what we imagine an English girl living in Paris might be like. Think of a cross between Amélie and an excitable Lizzy Bennet.

"It's been quite strange," Khoo says in the cafe of Brockwell Park, south London, fresh from her OFM photoshoot. She is dressed in her trademark style: a polka dot 1950s dress, crimson lipstick and expertly applied eyeliner (and it is genuinely her own style, not something picked out by a TV wardrobe department). "Suddenly I've got people coming up to me saying: 'Aren't you that girl off the telly?' I don't actually have a TV at home."

Read complete article: Rachel Khoo: 'My parents thought I was mad to go off baking cakes in Paris'

Rachel Khoo Video: The Little Paris Kitchen

The we have an interview on myFrench Life - extract:

Rachel, how would you describe yourself in three adjectives?
Creative, eclectic and fun.

What is your connection to France? And what is France to you?
My connection to France at the beginning was mainly a culinary one. People move to Paris because they fall in love with a Frenchman/woman, I moved to Paris because I fell in love with the cakes. Even though I would never call myself a Parisian (I’m a proud Brit) after 6 years in the city of lights, I call it home.

How do you always manage to keep your red lipstick smudge free and your apron clean?
Not wearing a white apron helps. Wiping your hands on a tea towel tucked into your apron instead of the apron, keeps your apron cleaner for longer too. And the secret to smudge free lipstick; a matt red lipstick and not licking your lips too much.

How did your passion for French food develop?
Out of curiosity. I wanted to know the secret to making the buttery, flaky croissants and the other sweet delicacies. Pâtisserie was more of a mystery than French cuisine.

Complete interview: Interview: Rachel Khoo – The Little Paris Kitchen

Posted via email from FRANCE facts about

No comments:

Post a Comment